Some of you have asked me, "Does Noah ever cry? He always seems so happy!" Truth be told, we are really lucky, and he is a joyful and sweet little guy most of the time. He has his moments, of course, but nothing compared to the last few miserable days.
His giggles have been replaced by a steady whine that sounds like a long winded "nnnn-nnnn-nnnnnn." It's also hard see his gummy grin. Most of the time he is shoving anything he can into his mouth, rubbing things along his gums and drooling enough to fill the kitchen sink. Instead of holding his head up, he rubs his face into the floor/mattress/my shirt, looking for pressure. If you are strong of heart, you can watch him do just that in this video.
I have tried to help the little guy, but not much seems to relieve him. I have tried rings, washcloths, cool water, etc. These temporarily help, but he still seems to be in pain. Last night we gave him some Tylenol which helped him sleep. I don't want to "drug him up" all day though. Any suggestions?
The baby bible (aka What to Expect..) states that not all babies get upset when teething. Some don't show any signs of pain. WHAT THE HELL? Why can't my baby be one of those babies?
I feel the same about those babies that I do about women who don't get cramps. Though not as angry as when I actually have cramps :P
So mommies out there, I would love some advice. What worked for you and where can I buy it!?!? (Though I can't say I will be following the "give him a beefy bone to chew on" technique, thank you Grandma Jackie).
4 comments:
I'm sure you've already checked this out, but just in case:
http://www.babycenter.com/0_parents-say-teething-solutions_11957.bc
Rach, I am so sorry! I feel like I understand because Jovie has never been a very fussy baby either and when she does get upset I feel like someone is ripping my heart out. I instantly have a stomach ache. I feel like it's maybe the equivalent to when a boy gets kicked in the balls. Anyway, I have had some luck with the Hyland's teething tablets and also I have gotten the corner of a washcloth wet and frozen it. (that way it's not too cold for baby to hold on to) I just stick like 5 washcloths in the freezer at once so when she is done with one I can grab another. Hope this helps:(
thanks ladies!
Rach,
Teething does bite. I wish there was a way to solve the discomfort, but I really haven't found one. My only bit to offer is the perspective that although this feels insane, it too shall pass. Harper had 8 teeth at 8 months (needless to say, from about 4 months old on she was a maniac, little sleep, all of that...) and Jack has 4 teeth at nine months and is currently biting on everything in sight, drooling, clearly working on more.
I just also want to say that I share in that feeling of "why can't I have the easy baby who doesn't get disturbed by this or that?" It's tough when there's a challenge you face and you think others have it easier, but honestly, I have never talked to another mom who didn't lament the teething phase. I think the "bible" in this case is just plain wrong!
Best of luck to you all! Ruthie
Post a Comment