Our little guy has has been pretty disagreeable lately. Everyday things like going potty, putting on clothes and eating meals have become a struggle for independence and control. You lay out the white socks, he demands black. You steam him the carrots he asked for, he changes his mind and wants corn instead (insert smashes said carrots with the palm of his hand while making a gagging noise in utter disdain). The drama that ensues over the most ridiculous things have lead me to believe that our friend's (the Duttons) were spot on that this year will be "Theatrical Threes."
Yesterday had been an especially challenging morning complete with two meltdowns; one over wearing a jacket outside, and the other over a small scrap of candy cane that Brian thought Noah had finished, but we discovered he had been saving for just the right sticky moment.
At nap time, we lay down exhausted, listening to Noah scream out his myriad of frustrations out in his room. (I swear, if the kid knew any swear words, we would have had to have a Costco gallon of soap to wash his mouth out).
All of this left me extremely unexcited about attending his preschool Christmas show only 2 hours later. However, as a usual, I put my big girl pants on (which are pretty big now at 9 months pregnant) and kept going.
Words cannot describe how grateful (how much I NEEDED) that crowded, sweaty hour we spent on the floor of the school auditorium. First, we were treated to a slide show of our kids at work and play at school. Noah was in the very first picture with a look of pure exuberance on his juice-stained face. Then big smiles on the swing...later (sticking out his tongue in concentration just like Bri!) making letters. Phew! The kid CAN smile. My blood pressure began to lower and I settled into a teary half-smile of pride.
Only 3 years ago did this boy come into the world and look how much he had accomplished! He had grown 20 inches, he was able to make his own friends, he found joy in accomplishment, he knew all about what he DID and DID NOT like. Ohhhhhhhh. (Shiny epiphany moment). He was growing up! That's what all the frustration and screaming were about. Our Noah's becoming his own little person and letting us know that it's not always easy.
So for now (until I want to pull my hair out again, which may be by 3pm today) I will try and appreciate his little light growing BIGGER and shining BRIGHTER.
Let it shine, buddy. Let it shine.
2 comments:
Awwww, Rach, this got me teary eyed. I know you have been through all kinds of school and you probably know this already, but while I was taking my Human Development class, my professor said at the age between 2-4 a need for control and independence is very present. She gave a good example of her son. She said, that he would rip off the clothes that she put on him because he didnt want to wear them. So she learned to pick out 3 different outfits, from the top right down to the socks that she approved, but gave him a feeling of "controlling what he wore". Maybe that would help Noah?? I dont know. Love you!!! xoxoox
Hi Rach - seems like the timing for the theatrical threes couldn't be better! In typical precocious Noah fashion he's getting an early start.
I was just talking to my friend Gretchen about all the tantrums our 18 and 21 month olds are throwing and we decided it should just be the Terrible Toddlers - age 1-3.
Then maybe the paradoxical, perplexing, problematical preschoolers...
I know you have all the skills and the instincts to give Noah the space and boundaries her needs...and if you want a break, we'll take him for an hour or two. Isla really misses him and has been having picnics with an imaginary Noah - apples are always on the menu.
Post a Comment