Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious

From January 2010

Being the human development nerd I am, I am always tickled when Noah reaches new milestones. Sure I spent 4 years studying child development and have since applied it to jobs I have had, but nothing beats seeing it really happen to your own kid.

Lately, Noah's been working on some communication milestones and its so interesting to see how he is figuring it all out. The last two months, Noah has been working on spontaneous and reciprocal questions. For example Brian will ask, "Noah what did you do today?" and Noah replies "I ___ (went to the park). What did you do today?" At first it was a prompted exchange, but now is is asking spontaneous questions and is able to comment on the answer. This morning he asked, "What Mama going to do today?" I told him we were going to see Dr. Bill, his pediatrician. Noah replied, "Oh! Dr. Bill, by Henry's (the grocery store). Can I have a green a lollipop?" Did I mention the kid also has a crazy memory for geography? Totally NOT a skill from me.

At his appointment (where he measured in at 35 inches and 28 pounds) he kept Dr. Bill busy with questions about his instruments and made comments about them. He said things like, "for my ears!" and "oh, that cold!" and then sang an entire round of Jingle Bells while he was getting checked out. Dr. Bill called Noah "quite a precocious little guy," which made me smile.


Noah's also mastered reciprocal/spontaneous comments. Often these come in the form of compliments which is just so sweet to hear. A few days ago he told a kid with skulls on his Vans, "cool shoes!" and told me "I like your (panda) shirt, mama." The best thing however is when he pulls out the manners and says things like, "thank you for breakfast mama."

It's so crazy that in just 2 years we have this little person with this HUGE personality. He definitely knows what he wants and enjoys and isn't afraid to tell you ALL about it.

Now THAT certainly came from me. ;)

3 comments:

Ali said...

That is adorable! Also, I had no idea that word (title) was so long until I read it.

Emi said...

What a great post! Noah is quite the cute and smart lil stud!

Cristina xoxo said...

i HAD to comment on your comment of Noah NOT getting his geography skills from you...it reminded me of when i was going to come to your house for the first time and i asked you for directions, and you didn't know them and so you asked your mom...and then after i went there once i could tell you about 4 different ways to get to your house! it made me laugh. :D