Tuesday, July 1, 2008

6 Months Already?


I am so proud (and a little sad) to say Noah turned 6 months on Monday. I can't believe how time has flown by. Parents always tell you "it goes by so fast." What a complete understatement that is. They also tell you that hitting the milestones are bittersweet. I never understood that until now.


All the moments we have had together so far have been so precious. I have loved feeding him, rocking him and singing him to sleep. Even through the last few teething weeks, he has remained such a sweetheart. He always has a smile for mama and papa. He loves mama to read to him in her "teacher" voice and he continues loves to dance together, especially to a lullaby before bed. Because of these things, he still remains "my baby" in many ways, but there are times now when I see him crawling out of his room toward one of the kitties and I think, "Who is this little man?"


So many changes have occurred in the last few months, I feel I need to write them down in order to remember. Plus it will help to be prepared for baby #2 someday. I started a list @ 3 months, so of course, he can still do all those wonderful things. Now he can:



  • sit up unassisted (5 months)

  • crawl - YIKES!!!! (my poor cats)

  • attempts to pull self to standing

  • passes objects in between hands

  • shows a preference for different toys, people, activities

  • "tells jokes" - not the knock knock variety of course. But he will make a silly face or noise and then look @ us to make us laugh at him. It's too cute.

  • drink from his sippy cup (started that month 5)

  • eats - (in addition to rice cereal and oatmeal) pears, apples, bananas, peas, sweet potatoes, carrots, apricots and small pieces of bread. Favorite is pears.

Along with these fantastic new developments come a whole new host of "big boy" dangers.


This week we tried giving him a teething biscuit. OMG. He loved it. It got everywhere! All over his face, in between his toes... I even found some in his neck cracks - yummy. However, we had to watch him pretty carefully, it broke into 2 pieces after about 10 minutes. It's not without irony that something that brought him such happiness is also a crazy choking hazard....


Another fun new danger occurs during nap times. He keeps attempting to pull himself up up out of the crib. This adds a lovely noise to his naps.... it's him bonking his head on the slats. Brian had to lower the mattress this week to keep him from hurdling over the side. Not sure what to do about the bonking, but I guess he will learn. Either that or he sleeps with a helmet on.


Due to the crawling, and a complete lack of understanding of danger, Bri and I have had to buy a baby gate for the stairs. The cats are not thrilled, but I think they will soon learn it can be a barrier between them and the tail-pulling monster.


Last week, I held Paul Chintawat's 3 day old niece and thought to myself, "was he ever this little?" His birth certificate says he was, but I have trouble believing it. Another strange feeling I had while holding her was the familiar flare of baby fever. Thankfully, it was not as urgent this time and I didn't run to Bri demanding we try for round 2. This time, I have had a taste of reality; the 3am feedings, the 2 hour crying marathons, the HORRIBLE heartburn of pregnancy, to keep my fever in check....at least for now. I will give you a status check again in another 6 months. :P


3 comments:

Unknown said...

Yeah . . . they grow up toooo fast.
But he has soooo many firsts to come, enjoy that precious bundle !
Love,
Mom #2

Catalina said...

Rach, He is amazing!! I am so excited to see where Jovie will choose to go when she starts to crawl. Wow! Do you feel like you hardly sit down?

Rachel said...

lol. nah. he doesn't go to fast yet, but the boy does distance! this morning he went from our room, down the hallway, into the office. mostly i feel like i have to keep a much cleaner floor!